Monday, August 31, 2009

Don't Talk to Strangers

People like to talk. Most of all they like to talk about themselves. I have always thought of myself as a fairly good listener and I enjoy my curious nature to be fulfilled when people decide to bear their souls to me. What I can’t seem to understand is how people can tell complete strangers intimate details about their lives within the first two seconds of meeting them. I can’t say that I am a super private person, but some information I don’t give quite as freely.

As I was sitting in my chair looking at cookbooks (it was the book of the day) the lawn man, who was cautiously blowing all the newly cut shards of grass back into the yard, stopped in front of me. I simply lifted my head to smile, showing that I knew he was there but it was obvious that I was not looking for any kind of conversation. While his blower is still on and at his side he looks at me and says, “Well it looks like the season is coming to an end, huh?” I said that it sure was and that I had one more week. I thought it would be the end of it, but he had more to say.

“Well yea, we will be done in about a month or so too. I don’t know what we are going to do after that. I mean, we come back here to do some snow removal and stuff but that is about it.”

I tried to pretend like I was interested in what he was saying, but actually I was more interested that this 50 year-old man wanted to talk about his business with me. I kept silent and let him talk.

“My daughter is actually in Hawaii right now and I am thinking about going over there to work. Her fiancĂ© is in the army and is stationed over there so maybe I could go over there. My brother is in the Virgin Islands and I could probably go over there too. My daughter is actually in town right now…but really its just a matter of getting the airfare and time to go over there. You know, I have never been to either of those places.”

At this point I was in awe. Here I was, listening patiently to this man ramble. He seemed to be enjoying the one-sided conversation so I let it continue. He started talking about what he was going to do. I simply wished him good luck and he was on his way.

I thought about starting to wear a Frankenstein mask to work tomorrow. Would people still approach me?

No comments:

Post a Comment